Saturday, July 12, 2008

Q & A: 50 Songs. Written & Recorded in 90 Days.

WHAT?
Okay... So to fill everyone in... I am doing what has been called the "Marathon of Songwriting Challenges." It is the 50/90 Challenge... Attempting to write 50 songs in 90 days. I am trying to record demos of all 50 too. In case you flunked math... that is one song every 43.2 hours... for 90 days. Crazy... yes. More about it here: www.5090.fawm.org/

WHY?
Why not? I did a song a week for the last 20-some weeks of 2007 as a personal challenge... and 14 songs in a February as part of February Album Writing Month. I decided that since gas prices, an aging car, and a few more reasons kept me from touring this summer... I would do this crazy challenge instead.

WHAT DO YOU WIN?!
Nothing. Lots of folks ask what will I win if I finish... Nothing... However if you like new songs... YOU WIN! :)

FIRST 26 SONGS - SERIES #1
I decided to write a series of songs about 26 fictitious people... all the titles and first words of the songs will be of a girl's name... Each song will be a name in alphabetical order... (Like naming Hurricanes.) i.e. Abigail, Betty, Caroline... Etc... Of course with any fiction... there is a little fact.

HOW DO YOU RECORD THEM?
I record a live version of the songs with a couple of microphones... Sometimes I will do an extra backing vocal. You might hear me breath, my lips smack, the neighbors dog bark...

CAN I DOWNLOAD THE SONGS?
Sure can. I'll be posting all the demos... Feel free to donate or buy something via the Donate and Merch link of the right of the page... Every little bit helps. :) ... and every $4 buys a gallon of gas.

WILL YOU WRITE A SONG ABOUT ME?
Maybe I already did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dan,

I think it's great that you are doing this challenge. Sounds great so far! Keep the creative juices flowing!

Janet, from Manitowoc

PS: I've got a light on for ya!